Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014, I'm here. I'm ready.

I am going to be completely honest with you all. I do not like New Year's resolutions. Personally, I just think they're so fake and cliche. Yes, they do work for some. However, most people that I've talked to about New Year's resolutions laugh and agree that after a few weeks it is safe to say they don't last. 

Last night after the watching the ball drop on television and celebrating with my family, I went to bed and pondered. I've tried having a New Year's Resolution in past years and failed. After spending much time in deep thought, I came up with a plan.

Instead of having a New Year's "Resolution" this year, I decided to have a "New Way of Life" for the New Year. I thought about all of the aspects of my life that I want to change, and created a plan of action as to how I planned to change them. I feel that changing the way you live your life is much more realistic and effective than having a resolution that you start pronto... and hope that your old habits stop cold turkey.

Instead of having a resolution, 2014 is going to be the first step into my "New Way of Life." Life is filled with mistakes, so it's okay if you "mess up" one of the plans in your new life every once in a while. It's not as traumatic as breaking a resolution. That is why the "New Way of Life" plan is much more realistic.

This is what I have decided to change for my new life:

1. Take better care of myself. This will include eating better, working out more often, and taking better care of my skin and hair.

Photo Credit: Courtney E. Carter
2. Sharpen my mind. This will include reading more and studying more in school. (In 2013, I found myself spending most of my free time watching Netflix and Youtube, and just memorizing in school. I've started out 2014 by downloading several new novels to my Kindle Fire. I am going to begin sharpening my mind by reading more. And for school, I found myself always memorizing. If you think about it, memorizing is not really learning. I memorize things for the test, then I forget them after. Starting this year, I'm really going to learn.)

3. Be more patient with others. This will include giving my time up more for others and giving them the time of day.

4. Love myself. This will include finding a deeper love for myself, taking more time for myself, and doing my best to not compare myself to others.

2014, I'm here. I'm ready.

Work hard, give back, and love.

xoxo, Courtney
My Youtube My Twitter My Instagram
____________________________
Photo by: Courtney E. Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment